My skin tends to go through cycles of good days and bad days. As soon as I say ayyy skin is glowing I jinx it and a massive spot appears the next day. There are a lot of things that can trigger acne breakouts such as poor diet, make up and medication to name a few. I have managed to stay spot free for a MONTH. Amazing right!? *Queue the confetti and trumpets*. Here are a few tips I have been using consistently. They have helped me A LOT over the past couple of weeks.
1. Drink plenty of water: This goes without saying but the more water you drink, the more hydrated your skin will be. I started a challenge where I drink at least 2 litres of water a day and I have already seen a massive difference over the past 3 weeks.
2. Get a good night’s sleep: You should be getting between 7 to 8 hours of sleep per day. I tend to sleep for 6 hours during the night and an hour or two during the day (depending on my work load). Yes, I love my naps and I am not ashamed. It gives me time to rest my brain and I find it easier to concentrate and complete tasks afterwards. Never underestimate the power of a good nap!
3. Go bare faced more frequently: Try going bare faced for a few days every week. I haven’t worn make up for the past 4 weeks and it’s the best decision I ever made. I have hardly had any break outs and my skin looks brighter and healthier. Please, please, PLEASE don’t sleep with your make up on. Your skin needs to breathe especially since it’s summer. It will thank you later!
4. Clean your make up brushes and sponges: Not even your holy grail skin care products can save you from the reoccurring acne breakouts you will receive if you don’t wash your make up brushes and sponges regularly. Yes, it’s tedious and annoying but it has has to be done! Dirty make up brushes provide a surface for bacteria, dirt and oil to accumulate. It can also lead to clogged pores, skin irritation and as well as poor make up application and damaged brushes if you are not careful.
5. Pure resurfacing liquid peel: This is part of the Drops of light range by The Body Shop. I was a bit sceptical when I bought this product purely because I thought it would be one of those products that people say ‘it has instant results but doesn’t actually work’ but it does what it says. It is a gel that tranforms into a peel by gently massaging it into the skin. As it peels away, it removes impurities and dead skin leaving healthier looking skin. I’ve noticed that my skin feels a lot smoother since I started using it and some of my acne scars have faded slightly. This product is quickly becoming one of my staple products.
6. St Ives Apricot Scrub: All I can say is love, love, love this! This product has helped to manage any existing acne that I have as well as minimise future breakouts. It’s the perfect deep cleanser for oily or acne prone skin. I have a really oily skin especially in my T-zone area so my pores get clogged quite easily. This product works by cleansing pores which will help to stop blemishes and blackheads. I use this twice a day- morning and just before bed. If you are looking for a new facial scrub, give this a go!
7. Purifying Charcoal Mask: Activated charcoal has many beneficial properties. It’s rich in minerals and helps to remove impurities and toxins for deep pores. This product also contains a cinnamon extract which has antiseptic and astringent properties. It helps to reduce oil production by making open pores contract which makes them smaller and also cleanses them. I use this product once or twice a week. To achieve the best results you need to open up your pores before applying the mask. This can be done by using a warm flannel or using warm water and patting your skin dry.
8. Anne French Deep Cleansing Milk: I’ve started using this as a make up remover because it’s so good at removing dirt and make up. It’s a deep cleansing milk designed to remove make up, dirt, excess oil and other impurities that may not be visible on the skin. I used to think my face was completely clean once I’d used a make up wipe and my facial scrub. I didn’t know how much build up I had on my face until I started using this after my facial routine. Once I have used this, I know that I have removed every ounce of dirt on my face!
These tips may seem overwhelming but you don’t need to try all of them at once. I started off with one product and went from there. I may try the L’oreal pure clay mask next!
What are some of your tips for minimising acne break outs?
Thanks for reading!